My research lies within the fields of machine learning, causality, and ethical AI. I’m mainly interested in causal notions of algorithmic fairness, structural counterfactuals, and knowledge representation.
“Counterfactual Situation Testing: Uncovering Discrimination under Fairness given the Difference.” Jose M. Alvarez, Salvatore Ruggieri. Forthcoming in ACM EAAMO 2023. [arXiv]
“Fairness implications of encoding protected categorical attributes.” Carlos Mougan, Jose M. Alvarez, Salvatore Ruggieri, and Steffen Staab. ACM AIES 2023. [paper]
“Domain Adaptive Decision Trees: Implications for Accuracy and Fairness.” Jose M. Alvarez, Kristen M. Scott, Bettina Berendt, Salvatore Ruggieri. ACM FAccT 2023. [paper]
“Can We Trust Fair-AI?” Salvatore Ruggieri, Jose M. Alvarez, Andrea Pugnanna, Laura State, Franco Turini. AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2023. [paper]
“Predicting and explaining employee turnover intention.” Matilde Lazzari, Jose M. Alvarez, and Salvatore Ruggieri. International Journal of Data Science and Analytics (IJDSA), 2022. [paper]
What’s the Problem, Linda? The Conjunction Fallacy as a Fairness Problem. [arXiv]
The Initial Screening Order Problem with Salvatore Ruggieri. [arXiv]
Proceedings of the 2nd European Workshop on Algorithmic Fairness, Winterthur, Switzerland, June 7th to 9th, 2023. Edited by: Jose M. Alvarez, Alessandro Fabris, Christoph Heitz, Corinna Hertweck, Michele Loi, Meike Zehlike. CEUR Workshop Proceedings 3442, CEUR-WS.org 2023. [EWAF 2023]
Invited talks, presentations, and workshops
- ACM EAAMO, Doctoral Consortium; Boston, USA; October 2023.
- ECML PKDD 3rd Workshop on Bias and Fairness in AI; Poster Session; Turin, Italy; September 2023.
- IMS International Conference on Statistics and Data Science; Poster Session; Florence, Italy; December 2022.
- NeurIPS Workshop on Algorithmic Fairness through the Lens of Causality and Privacy; Poster Session; New Orleans, USA; December 2022.
- 1st Comete Workshop on Ethical AI; Invited Speaker; Palaiseau, France; September 30, 2022.
- ACM FAccT; Doctoral Consortium; Seoul, South Korea; June 2022.
- 1st European Workshop on Algorithmic Fairness; Lightning Round Presentation; Zurich, Switzerland; June 2022.